The Seligman family originated from Germany and in the early part of the nineteenth century emigrated to America. In 1864, they founded a firm of bankers in New York, under the name of J & W Seligman& Co. The bank was involved in many areas, such as financial backing for the construction of the Panama Canal, railroads, steel, and wire industries in America.
In 1864 a branch, Seligman Brothers, was opened in London.
Isaac and Lina Seligman had 8 children one of whom was Edith (b.1875) who married Dr Charles Myers who built The Glebe in Winsford, and a son Hubert Seligman (b.1880) who gave the newly positioned benches, one by Winn Brook and the other in the new bus shelter. Hence, their connection to Winsford.
It is believed that Hubert after attending Cambridge University became a banker and devoted his time to Jewish and other charities. Hubert and his sister Edith Myers, and nieces were believed to be involved in the rescue of Jewish children on the Kindertransport and helped to provide housing and education on their arrival in the UK.
Hubert died in September 1939, soon after donating the benches.
Thanks to Lady Wall for information from her private collection on The Glebe and Myers family.
© Winsford Parish Council Archive