The newly installed Gill family bench on the village green is associated with two Winsford families, the Gills and Sullys.
James Henry Gill, b.1869 in Bishopsteignton, Devon, and his family came to Winsford just before World War 1. James was a baker and he setup his business in the Old Shop now known as Old Tythe. He had two sons James and Leonard.
James worked with his father learning the bakery trade while Leonard attended Winsford school. James was called up to fight in the First World War and was a member of the Winsford Comrades. He survived the war, returned to Winsford and married Edith Pugsley in 1921. James bought the shop and land from the Acland sale in 1926 and continued to serve the village. James and Edith’s son Henry John Gill married Margaret Sully in 1952 in Winsford church.
Margaret Sully’s parents Thomas and Lucy Sully, lived in Sunnymead – overlooking the village green. Thomas worked at Hollam farm and served in World War 1 and was a Winsford Comrade.
Ms. Sue Gill generously donated the bench on the village green in memory of her family.
© Winsford Parish Council Archive